air compressof for home garage use.

The all purpose conversational forum
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

air compressof for home garage use.

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:59 pm

I had a cast open compressor with a 3 hp motor and maybe 15-20 gal tank..... had to ditch in the move to a condo … want a unit to occasionally use a air tool .. but primarily to inflate tires and have a compressed air source for cleaning etc … what size will you think I should be looking at … the more compact the better .
Thanks
JD
Joe DeGasperis
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Re: air compressof for home garage use.

Post by friedman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:31 am

I bought a small pancake style to run my nail gun. Should fill your needs easily, my son-in-law uses it on occasion to power my orbital sander. You can get them from Home Depot, Harbor Freight, etc.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Thanks, that's what I was thinking too …. that size would fit in the only available space in the garage .. Also the upright tank style are also have a smaller footprint...
Joe DeGasperis
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 pm

somewhere, someone suggested to me installing a compressor in the attic of my garage. Ultimately, it was not something I could do or really wanted (big compressor, short attic, tall ceilings), but it seemed like an interesting idea for places where space is a premium.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
ward00
Last Name: wardas
First Name: mark

Post by ward00 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:38 pm

As part of my restoration of a 124 Sport Coupe, I just bought a compressor. I know it is outside the budget of most, but I decided on it primarily because of the combination of capacity, noise level, and portability. I did not want to aggravate the neighbors next door or the one "indoor" as well. It's more quite than my portable tire compressor. Anyway for anyone interested here it is: https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-elite ... essor.html
Currently in Santa Cruz, Ca
75 Spider - 1.8 with IDFs running like a champ - starting performance race upgrade to 2 liter
75 Sport Coupe restoration

Past
Spider (4), Coupe (1), 131 (2), 128 (1) Ritmo (1) X1/9 (2)
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:50 pm

Ooch…. that is rather expensive …. seems pretty nifty … about the significant noise reduction
Joe DeGasperis
ward00
Last Name: wardas
First Name: mark

Post by ward00 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:12 pm

expensive yes - a b'day gift to myself - got it because its got enough oomph/cfm for the power/paint tools I use and because it doesn't require a fork lift to move. Before this one I ordered 2 different compressors from Amazon and had to return them both because of cfm and noise issues. But the best thing is the noise - or lack thereof. I got it when they were offering free shipping.
Currently in Santa Cruz, Ca
75 Spider - 1.8 with IDFs running like a champ - starting performance race upgrade to 2 liter
75 Sport Coupe restoration

Past
Spider (4), Coupe (1), 131 (2), 128 (1) Ritmo (1) X1/9 (2)
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:40 pm

--Mark, that Eastwood compressor is remarkable indeed! It's advertised correctly: "performance of a 60 gal. compressor in a 30 gal." It's true!

--A little caution when picking a shop compressor. I'm a little surprised that Carl's son can use his pancake compressor with an orbital sander! These small compressors are usually suitable for nail guns and small tasks requiring short bursts of air, but they usually cannot sustain the CFM of air for most air tools, particularly for grinding, cutting, and bead blasting that require sustained high CFM air. Tools are often marked with air requirements.

--By example, Mark's $1700 30 gal. compressor is rated at 4hp, but can sustain 12.7 CFM @ 90psi. I've got an old upright Craftsman 30 gal. rated at 6hp, but it only produces about 6.4CFM @ 90psi. Mark's compressor could handle a small bead blasting cabinet, and most air powered tools. Mine can handle an impact gun (burst power), and a die-grinder, but could not support a small Eastwood bead blaster.

--If shopping for a compressor, check CFM of air at 90psi for comparisons. Most small pancake style compressors are about 6 gal., and are rated somewhere less than 1 hp (usually about .6 - .8 hp), and about 135-150 psi, but rated less than 3.0 CFM of air @ 90 psi. (usually about 2.5-2.6CFM).
These are good for airing tires, nail guns, and other short air burst tasks.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:08 pm

I live without a compressor. I use 18v lithium battery powered tools in the garage, impact wrench, a variety of lights and fans, and a portable air inflator for tires. I've thought about getting an air tank to use for cleaning or paint touch up with a airbrush but don't really have enough need to justify it.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
SimcaBertone66

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:27 am

Thanks all . Jim … thank you for stressing the importance of sustained cfm available .. at 70 + years on the odometer … never going to wield an air tool ever again … need to just air up tire ans blow away some dust or other … picked up a pancake style 6 gal, uses 1/4 inch hose……. good enough.. that was then this is...... NOW.
Last edited by SimcaBertone66 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe DeGasperis