jack mount in passenger side rear fender

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

jack mount in passenger side rear fender

Post by rridge » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:48 pm

I've just spent 15 minutes trying to remember how the jack mounts on the bracket in the rear fender. I know that if its not secure it will find a way to put a dent in the fender as it bounces around. The owners's manual is no help. Does anyone have a picture of jack, handle and tool kit properly stored in stock position?
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
18Fiatsandcounting
Last Name: Balazs
First Name: Bryan

Re: jack mount in passenger side rear fender

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:17 pm

I can only comment for the two spiders I currently have, '69 and '71.

The hexagonal end shaft of the jack (the shaft you put the ratchet on, next to the knob) fits into a bracket with a rubber-lined hole in the center right near to the passenger side marker light. The bottom plate of the jack rests on a square of felt fabric glued to the inside surface of the passenger side rear wheel well. The other end of the jack (opposite from the ratchet end) is secured to the wheel well with a rubber strap about 5 inches long and an inch wide, with metal hooks on each end. You stretch this strap over the top arms of the jack, and the hooks are secured to metal tabs welded to the metal of the wheel well. The ratchet for the jack inserts down the middle of the jack, before you fully lower the jack (thus holding the lever in place).

The tool kit is on the rider's side rear wheel well, also held in place with the exact same rubber strap that is stretched between the two metal tabs and thus across the top of the tool case.

I know the above might be hard to visualize, but I could take a picture if needed.

-Bryan
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:10 pm

In the later Spiders there's a larger structural piece that hides the socket for the jack hex but I found it. What isn't there is the padding for the fender. Think I'll add some. Thanks for the info.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
18Fiatsandcounting
Last Name: Balazs
First Name: Bryan

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:26 pm

I just checked both of my cars, and this "felt padding" is about 3" by 3", and it actually looks more like some sort of thin carpeting. In both of my cars, this padding is pretty chewed up, and so you have given me another idea of something to improve. Felt would probably work just fine, or anything similar to keep the bottom plate of the jack from banging on the inside surface of the rear wheel well.

For the rubber straps, AutoRicambi sells these, referred to as "Toolbox or Jack Retaining Strap".

-Bryan