Let's piss off carl

The all purpose conversational forum
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Re: Let's piss off carl

Post by cgranju » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:38 pm

people who seem to pick the left lane (for no reason...not passing) on an interstate are dangerous. I usually flash my lights if I'm moving faster than a vehicle in the left lane & it's not either passing or stuck behind other cars. Surprisingly, there are still people who realize that is a signal & NOT some tool to piss people off. What I usually do these days is drop back to the right lane and wait for someone who is more willing to ride someone's bumper to clear the lane & then pass before stupid lane selection can kick back in once the lane is cleared.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 am

I was always thrilled to see left lane bandits (remember that cool term?) finally move over but then realized they only moved over because their exit had come up.

My motorcycle days were so much less frustrating, you could get passed these idiots without any problem.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:47 am

Congested or poorly maintained roads seem to bring out the worst in drivers. As I recently crossed Michigan on I-94 I watched people enter and exit directly to and from the left lane even on three lane segments. They were trying to avoid the pounding from broken and improperly repaired road surfaces in the more heavily traveled right lanes.

Ohio has an interesting strategy for reducing problems caused by large speed variations between vehicles and lack of lane discipline. A large portion of the Ohio turnpike is reduced to single lanes in both directions each summer. Occasionally you glimpse actual construction.

Sometimes it's useful to reflect on the small difference in total trip time that occasionally dropping down from 80 to 65 mph makes. A little planning and local knowledge of quick on and off rest stops and fueling options can offset summer congestion delays. Often it's more important to put space between you and a challenged or distracted driver than to reach the next rest stop five minutes early.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:27 pm

Richard, that's why I was on Rt 17 rather than interstate 95.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
Gandyrail
Last Name: Boley
First Name: Vernon

Post by Gandyrail » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:50 am

I've wanted many times that stamp on the long stick that puts the word stupid on the offenders car :twisted:
Maybe a bright orange nerf gun that shoots stupid labels; but that might be childish.
I've resorted to just pulling off and getting a few miles between me and the dumb-koff that is causing the irritation.
a short rest stop and maybe a little walk greatly help my mood; also I've talked to some nice peeps doing this.
Remember Karma is a bitch.
My garage: 81 Spider 2000 FI; 02 Chev 1500 Avalanche 4WD, 80 Honda Spree Scooter, 2001 21' Crestliner boat w Yami150 2-CycleMarine outboard.
Garage use by kids: 82 Datsun PU, 98 Accura TL, 78 Datsun 280Z, 07 Honda Civic Si,
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:38 am

Sadly, I'm not one of those "road trip" guys. I'm more of a "get in the car, lock the doors and no stops till we get to our destination" traveler.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:42 pm

Hummmmm…… seems the response by the "left lane bandit" … can change depending on what is behind them … even when I did not care they were "riding in the left lane" , no flashing light, even dropped back a bit to check it out.... the mere sight of a red 911 in their mirror seemed too trigger them to move over pronto …. it was pretty funny … just saying...
Joe DeGasperis
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:52 am

Joe, I think those days are over. A white Ford Explorer with an LED light bar on the roof might have some effect but that would just make everyone slow down to the speed limit. Baby boomers are old and feeble minded and millennials don't know what any car is performance wise and are too busy with their infotainment. A bike just blasts between the two cars.
A 124 spider with three or four Super Oscars on the front might have an impressive effect.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone