WTH Spider Rear Racing Suspension!

A forum for racing topics
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

Re: WTH Spider Rear Racing Suspension!

Post by ST3Racer » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 pm

Andy,
Mounted how, exactly? Inboard of the long arms? Attached how? Or concentric? I am having trouble concepting this.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L ex EP racer, ex Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar - retired
'69 rebodied with '79 backdated chassis as '72 DP 1.8L Vintage Racer
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:05 pm

The double trailing arm mod was popularized on the West Coast by Dave Voss and others. A second set of lower arms is mounted on the inside of the stock arms by doubling the length of the mounting bolts and cantilevering the additional arm on those longer bolts off the inside mounting brackets.

I ran the set up on my street Spider for several years to reduce the understeer in a way similar to a rear anti-sway bar. The bushings in the trailing arms absorb and resist the twist created by the body rolling side to side while the axle remains parallel to the ground. Most of that resistance is generated by the bushings. Twice the number of bushings gives twice the resistance to rolling.

I found the mod made a nice reduction in understeer for the stock suspension in my '81. After I lowered my car moderately and went to stiffer shocks the rear end became a little too loose for street work. The nice thing about the mod is that it is completely reversible. There is a picture and more info at this link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rridge/69 ... 018311651/
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
ST3Racer

Post by ST3Racer » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:41 am

NOW, I understand. Interesting. Using stiff springs, and stiff adjustment on the KONIs, gives me the balance I need on both the street car, and the racer. On sweepers, both cars are neutral, and on tight corners, it can be made to drift a bit to get the rotation needed to make the corner. Power on the street is calculated at about 150 crank, and the racer is about 200 crank. I run a 25mm front bar, and no rear bar, on both cars. I have found that any rear bar makes the handling unpredictable, so I make sure that the stiffness and balance of the springs gives the handling that is needed, for quick laps, or fast mountain driving.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
fiatfactory
Last Name: Cecchele
First Name: Steve

Post by fiatfactory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:44 am

I did exactly the same modification back in the early 1990's on a 124 coupe I prepped for track work, I coined the term "M Bar" for my first iteration as the lower arms and the triangulation were one piece (so shaped like a capital M)

small difference was the method of attachment to the differential housing, I made the central diff mount a screw in item, it screwed into the drain hole (fiat 132 diff, larger centre)

Eventually the welds failed at the front attachment point, so I end up making the central V separate, similar to how you have it, but the forward mounts a little more rearward, so the pivot points were all in a line across the car.

That car also had the upper inner arm attachment point moved upwards (simple box section in the floor in the region under the rear seat squab) and the lower arm attachment point on the differential extended to move the pivot point downwards, this returned the rear geometry to standard angles after the rear had been lowered... and the car hooked up amazingly well.

And yes deleted the panhard rod as the lateral location was taken care of, with no sideways deflection under vertical movement.

SteveC
ST3Racer

Post by ST3Racer » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Steve,
The objective is to eliminate bind and weird motion(s) that disrupts the handling. There are many ways to do this, and I have learned some new ones.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
atruscott
Last Name: Truscott
First Name: Andy

Post by atruscott » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:15 pm

Richard explained very nicely. Only additional thing I did was to include a fender washer on the inside of the additional (inside) arm. It constrains the bushing nicely so you don’t get any “splurge”.

The key for me was that rather than a simple torsion from one side of the car to the other, with dual long arms there’s a torsion within each side of the car. You really feel the difference, and it’s such a simple modification.

A
1960 Autobianchi Bianchina Transformabile
1970 238 Camper OHV
1974 124 Wagon TC
1974 124 Special TC
1975 124 Sport Coupe
1976 124 Sport Spider (The Racer)
1981 Spider 2000 (The Resurrected)
1985 Pininfarina Azzurra
2017 124 Spider Abarth Elaborazione
ace124
Last Name: Dimi
First Name: John

Post by ace124 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:12 am

Heres how im doing it over here in Europe.
What you see is actually destined for a buddys 131, but 124 has similar mounting points and im in the process of replicating this set up for the 124.
On smooth tracks there is nothing wrong with the rear live axle.
My usual mods are, reinforcing, A arm or watts link conversion, although with a stiff rearend the panhard rod works ok. LSD, a proper one with clutches, not a torsen, although they work ok, clutch type works much better on trail turning into corners. Upper control arms boxed and moved inboard so as they sit parallel to the ground after lowering. Rose / Heim joints on all ends.
The key are the rear shocks, Bilstein suitably valved. or Konis but on a race track you need re valving, OEM type valving is for the road....even on koni yellows. And absolutely NO rear sway bar.
The only reason im going IRS on rear is because of dirt. A live rear axle will skip, and because of the extra suspension travel needed, IRS is better.
Attachments
124 Rear IRS.jpg
124 Rear IRS.jpg (126.92 KiB) Viewed 3137 times
atruscott
Last Name: Truscott
First Name: Andy

Post by atruscott » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:25 am

John - now why did you have to go and upset my calm with putting ideas like that in my head? :)
1960 Autobianchi Bianchina Transformabile
1970 238 Camper OHV
1974 124 Wagon TC
1974 124 Special TC
1975 124 Sport Coupe
1976 124 Sport Spider (The Racer)
1981 Spider 2000 (The Resurrected)
1985 Pininfarina Azzurra
2017 124 Spider Abarth Elaborazione
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:20 pm

ace124 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:12 am
What you see is actually destined for a buddys 131, but 124 has similar mounting points and im in the process of replicating this set up for the 124.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--John, a couple of questions. First and foremost, what is the origin of this assembly?
--I'm also having some difficulty seeing how this setup will share any mounting points with a 124 Spider?
--Are those actually front hubs....just used for the picture? They appear to have steering arms attached?
Thanks John,
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
fiatfactory
Last Name: Cecchele
First Name: Steve

Post by fiatfactory » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:49 pm

Rear hubs look like X19 5 speed, steering drop arm is cast in, and there will be a connecting adjustable tie rod and this allows setting of rear toe.

Basically a copy of the 131 Abarth rear suspension, with historic rally being good business these days, companies like RSD in the UK have developed the IRS system and even 16 Valve heads and other parts to keep customers happy... most are customers with pretty deep pockets though.

SteveC