The all purpose conversational forum
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Re: Spider Crash Test Report

Post by PhillySpider » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:30 am

bark wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:48 pm
Well, here's my 1970 Spider after a being rear ended by that pickup pulling a trailer full of wire. He was doing 65 MPH in the dense fog with no brakes and hit me from behind at a stop light, pushing me under a 225 and into several small Japanese cars. The roll bar saved my life, for it snagged the front bumper and prevented the truck from simply overrunning my Spider and decapitating me. You can see how far over the front seat it was pushed. I hit the bar with the back of my head, resulting in 18 stitches. I broke the steering wheel with my face, shattering my left orbit. The gas tank was just filled and did rupture. And yes, both doors still opened and closed!
Yup, keeping my roll bar! Call me vain :)
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
fp55scca
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by fp55scca » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:34 pm

PhillySpider wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:30 am
......Yup, keeping my roll bar! Call me vain :)
--You bet Mike! My first introduction to the Fiat 124 Spider was in 1969. I was in Navy flight school at the time, and a fellow student aviator( a Coast Guard Ltjg) had a '69 Spider with a roll bar. To make a long story short, he managed to slide sideways off a road one night (there could have been alcohol involved? :lol: ) and the car impacted a tree on the drivers door and the B-pillar! The car was totaled, but he walked away without a scratch! The roll bar sits just inside the B-pillar.
Jim Scurria
Norfolk, VA

1972 Fiat 124 Spider
1971 Spider - SCCA FP-24
1974 CSA Abarth Replica
1981 Fiat Spider Ratrod
vandor
quattromila club
Last Name:

Post by vandor » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:09 am

Most car seats from before the 90s were not really designed to take a rear impact, unless it was a Volvo or Mercedes. In high school a classmate was rearended in his late 80s Jetta, and the seat slider broke and the seat slid onto the floor behind it.
Csaba
Parts: http://www.autoricambi.us
Cars: http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/Fiat.html
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'72 124 Coupe, new project, ex-Pete, ex-Eli, ex-Jack car (all Mira members)
'73 124 Wagon, no floors
San Jose Steve
Last Name:

Post by San Jose Steve » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:45 pm

I was in a very similar accident to Bills in my 1st 1972 124 spider. Rear ended by a 90's Chevy Blazer while stopped in traffic. I got a little beat up as that car only had lap belts in it. The subsequent collision with the car in front of me was not as hard, but hurt way worse as I had slid high up in the collapsed drivers seat allowing the lap belt to go limp before impacting the car in front. I remember smelling gasoline strong enough to burn my eyes... Thankfully it was a bit wet out. Left the scene in an ambulance. Wasn't until a few days later that I got a good look at my car. Wow....

Got my 2nd 72 Spider 4 months later. The very 1st thing I did was figure out how to fit a 3 point belt in it ! 19 years later I still cringe when I see older 124's on club drives only fitted with a lap belt. A $150 and an afternoon of trial and error getting the hanger mounted high on the wheel well, and the retractor low behind the rear qtr. panel with the belt being unimpeded by the installed boot cover was well worth it. So was adding a super bright LED strip wired to my rear brake lamp. $30 and 30 minutes of fussing might keep me from getting hit in the first place. -Steve
San Jose Steve
Last Name:

Post by San Jose Steve » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:59 pm

Oh....and BTW...... This past summer I talked to a fellow club member at Concorso Italiano who had rolled his spider over back in the day. Not going terribly fast, (but too fast for the road!) lost control, drifted off the pavement and up a slope, then completely rolled over. Said he was able to crawl out with just bumps and bruises as the windshield frame had bent over mid-way up, the bottom half propping up the car. -Steve
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:30 pm

Some of the guys in the local club have installed pulsing brake light. Not a bad idea unless you happen to be behind them for a club drive and have to watch the damn blinking brake lights for 30 minutes every time they hit the brakes.

I make a habit on all my cars of taping on the brake pedal if there is an unexpected braking issue up ahead...turning on e-flashers is another way to do this....anything to get the attention of folks behind me.

I was also taught in a real world defensive driving class to snuggle up right against the back of the car in front of you if it looks like you are going to take a hit from behind but this presumes you have time to figure this all out in advance.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Post by davedecker4 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:27 am

Good pointers Carl. I always like how the hazard button is big, bright red, and easy to reach on the dash. Easy to hit when everybody screeches to a stop on the freeway. And I do so. Tapping the brakes too. Any accident you can avoid is easier to survive, repair, or avoid liability for.
I think however, anything that adds extra flash and annoyance in the name of safety, ultimately decreases it. This includes flashing brake lights or taillights on bicycles, riding around with your brights on all the time, or worst of all, motorcycles with headlights that constantly flash. Yes, I can see you. I can see you so good you're distracting me from the car in front of me which I will then have to swerve to avoid causing me to hit your motorcycle which is the largest one you could find and still can't really control because you only learned to ride when you finally bought one in your late 50's or 60's. (No, the latter part is not you Carl).
Oh and a couple terrible spider accidents there. I'm glad you guys made it and are still okay. Sorry about your cars.
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:45 am

There is a lot of interesting psychology as to why motorcycles get hit, usually by left turns right in front of them or why folks run into them from behind....but that's for a different forum.

Maybe a full race cage, fire suppression system and Nomex is the only real solution to full safety.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:39 pm

friedman wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:30 pm

I was also taught in a real world defensive driving class to snuggle up right against the back of the car in front of you if it looks like you are going to take a hit from behind but this presumes you have time to figure this all out in advance.
I can attest to this ^^^, Stopped dead around a bend on the PA turnpike and an F150 with a trailer full of lawn equipment lost his brakes behind me with one car between us. I remember thinking this is it as i could see in the mirror he was not slowing down. I snugged up to the volvo in front of me, I saw the guy behind me snug up to me, I sat back and tried to go limp...and WHAM! From the time i saw the guy coming there was only enough time to consider getting out for a moment, but I couldn't enter opposing traffic (70 mph highway) and figured I wouldn't out run the accident. Fortunately only the driver of the truck was really injured, not wearing a seat belt, and smelling of alcohol according to the cop who said the guy claimed he had no brakes...8 cars total involved and we all walked away.
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:39 am

Amazing how time slows down in a situation like this and you get to reason out what your options are.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone