Engine Shield

The all purpose conversational forum
Funcar
Last Name: Tschirhart
First Name: Glen

Engine Shield

Post by Funcar » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:31 am

I have my spider up on jack stands so I can replace my starter motor. I know my next project is suspension so I decide to do some cleanup. The engine shield looks like it is serving it's purpose. It is badly dented and actually the metal has peeled back from probably a curb or those cement blocks they put in parking lots. It was held on by 4 bolts the rest are missing and one has the head broken off leaving a small nub that I don't think I can get vice grips on. There are 4 screws at the front which I removed and along with the bolts thought I could drop it down clean it, straighten it out' paint it and put it back on. I had picked up extra bolts.

The shield was still attached and I noticed it had been spot welded. Suggestions??

Glen Tschirhart
Kitchener Ontario Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Re: Engine Shield

Post by friedman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:02 am

Can you provide more pictures? Are we talking about the factory plastic chin spoiler or some sort of metal part? I am aware that some spiders had sheet metal engine bay pans and some folks had aftermarket engine protector "grills" that could be bolted on to protect the oil pan. In your picture I'm not sure what I'm looking at.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:35 am

Yeah, what are we supposed to be looking at ... I know it's sort in the front of the car ......lol
Joe DeGasperis
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:06 pm

I recognize the V shaped radiator support but under that would just be a roll pan/front valence and on 79 and later spiders a plastic chin spoiler. This car appears to have a DIY mod to the front.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
AZRuss124
Last Name: Wakefield
First Name: Russ

Post by AZRuss124 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Here is a picture of my 80. I think this is what we're looking at. the sheetmetal is a plate designed to direct air from the bottom grill to the radiator.
203.JPG
203.JPG (629.33 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Spiders have may year to year model variations even before owners begin to customize them by borrowing parts from other years. It is always helpful to indicate the year of the Spider you are asking about. Otherwise we tend to respond by assuming you are asking about the model year we happen to own. The signature line is a very handy place to identify which model and year you own.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
beek
Last Name: Beeken
First Name: Randy

Post by beek » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:45 pm

what he is looking for is the engine under tray for a 75-78 spider. The trays from those years had a small lip/spoiler (ish) thing on the front. I know because i cut it off or my pan so I could install a later plastic spoiler.
IMG_5643.JPG
IMG_5643.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 2697 times
2018 Abarth Spider, Daily
2016 500X wifes daily
2014 500L daughters daily
1982 Zagato (+2 parts cars)
1978 Spider Sons daily
1975 Spider Restored
(5) 1976 Lancia Scorpions, 3 that are being worked on to drive
(5) spider parts cars.
Funcar
Last Name: Tschirhart
First Name: Glen

Post by Funcar » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:00 am

Thanks Randy for posting this picture of the tray under your car. This is what I was talking about on my 73 Spider.

I understand it was on earlier spiders and sometimes called the engine belly pan. It bolts to the frame of the car and protects the lower parts of the engine, timing belt, oil filter etc from road debris and also provides proper air flow. These engine trays had to be removed to change your oil filter so a lot of times it was left off or modified by cutting out a section around the oil filter which is the case on my car.

I made my post in the BS section of the form. I had just swapped out my starter motor and as a novice was quite elated with my success. Moving forward I tried to remove this pan while I had the car on jack stands thinking it would be an easy task and clean it up. Kinda like the one in Franks picture only to find it had been welded on. I called that BS.

I now need to get rid of the spot weld and don't have the tools, knowledge or skills to do that. At any rate I just plan on taking my car to a welding shop and have them remove it.
Glen Tschirhart
Kitchener Ontario Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 am

A Dremel tool with cut off wheel would probably get through that weld in short order but if don't feel comfortable doing that then having someone else do it is the logical next step.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
davedecker4
Last Name: Decker
First Name: Dave

Post by davedecker4 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:52 am

Dremel take too long. Good for small, pretty work.
You want a grinder. Can pick one up at Harbor Freight for 20 bucks, maybe ten on sale with coupon.
Then you discover it useful for many things...
Dave Decker
a 'couple' Fiats and Lancia's