Not many like the way I build them

The all purpose conversational forum
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Not many like the way I build them

Post by friedman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:41 pm

I thought my spider was decently priced at $4,500 on Craigslist but got no bights. I think the problem is I'm scaring away your average spider interested person.

No bumpers seem to turn folks off.
Black hood probably too aggressive for your average buyer.
Rollbar again is scaring away average weekend cruiser.
Non stock brakes (WHOA brakes) breathed on motor and my and suggestions of other mods once again, scaring away folks.

If none of you respond to my new lower price ad it will go back on Craigslist with the green hood back on, rollbar removed, stock front brakes and no chatter about the motor other than to say it's rebuilt. I have no bumpers so nothing I can do about that.

I do a lot of thinking during my 2 mile walk around the local lake and sometimes I come to reasonable conclusions.

You may now respond but hold your hand up high so I can see it.

Doctor Obvious
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
81-SPIDERMATT
Last Name: Lingg
First Name: Matt

Re: Not many like the way I build them

Post by 81-SPIDERMATT » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:57 pm

your buyer is out there somewhere ... went to Richmond Virginia craigslist and put in spider in my search ... yours is the best ad and what I think is the best priced spider in the mix .... if that one guy gets his 19,000 asking price you could call him and ask if his buyer has a brother lol ... best time of year in my opinion to sell ... craigslist is tough because of all the crazies ... but not all are bad and your car should go .. I would think .... good luck ...Matt
It's not an oil leak...that's power sweat

Matt in Fort Collins, Co
joelittel
Last Name:

Post by joelittel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Have you posted the car on Bringatrailer.com?

Sorry if this was already discussed.
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 am

I was discussing the $19K spider with a friend of mine. Obviously the guy has been taking ebay asking prices to heart and wants to join in the fun of grossly overpriced spiders that sit on ebay for ever.

I tried BAT but they graciously declined to put my spider on auction so I'm stuck with the great unwashed in craigslist.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:36 am

Maybe the Facebook marketplace?

I don't get it, but very little surprises me these days. While I can understand that if you were asking 20 grand for your car it could be tough, you price your cars very reasonably/modestly. Maybe the idea of the sports car is lost and the BaT crowd has convinced everyone that factory stock is where it's at? To me, very few 124 Spiders and virtually no Spider 2000s (85.5 being the exception) are super-interesting without modifications, most of which are the ones you've done....but for me that we have you comes after trying a hundred different versions out for size.

Maybe you need endorsements from other people who have bought cars from you.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:01 am

Pictures matter a lot when you are selling on the internet. Yes, "boy racer" is not the image or the market you are going for. Use the ad to show that the owner is a serious grownup, even if we know that's not really true.

Take only high quality shots with a real camera, well lit, and well positioned against neutral backdrops. Take lots of them. Craigslist isn't charging by the picture and the film is free. Take sharp close-ups of points of interest, dash, engine compartment, wheels and tires.

Real boy racers always leave the convertible top down because it doesn't clear the roll bar and anyway its in bad condition that they've never gotten around to fixing. Besides it takes five minutes to put up and an additional five to put down. No one wants to buy from a round-tuit. Take at least one picture of the top up unless it simply confirms the boy racer stereotype.

Use the text to answer the most common questions anyone has about a Fiat, is it rusty and is it reliable. If it has some bubbling show a picture of the worst area. You've been all over the car mechanically. Take some shots that suggest that the car has been carefully serviced by a knowledgeable owner. If you've installed a new clutch, mention it. Take one in the garage parked next to the X1/9 shell you are currently restoring. Mention that it can be seen in action on next weekend's DCfiat tour.

I occasionally buy and sell cars on Craigslist. It is possible and to get decent prices coming and going and spend a minimum of time showing or driving to distant locations. Simply ignore the the usual Craigslist noise and stupid questions. Of course it would be somewhat easier if you are selling a 20 year old Miata with 180,000 miles and a torn rear window in the middle of the winter.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
fumi
Last Name:

Post by fumi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:42 am

Carlitos,

I have been selling my cars on Craigslist for the past decade or so with excellent results. All of my adds have a personal flair/touch to them and have extensive descriptions. I always state the reason why I am selling and my history with the car. I always write a "very" specific list of maintenance done to the car during my ownership.

For starters, I think you should state that you are an older gentleman that has been into Fiats for 50 years (yikes.......sorry) and has owned and worked on XX number of Fiats. I think you should state that you are selling the Fiat because you have 2 other X 1/9's you are working on and that your space/finances/wrenching time needs to be concentrated on the X's (or whatever the reason is-----you get the gist).

I would make a long and specific list of new parts/work installed on the car (from sparkplugs, hoses, belts, timing belts, head gasket, pistons, battery, water pump, tire size, etc, etc.). I would show pictures and talk further about the cool stuff on the car (steering wheel, performance exhaust, koni shocks, wheels, roll bar, seats, etc., etc).

Like Richard said, pictures with the X's in the background are a plus. It shows you are a Fiat enthusiast. Lastly, add key words to your adds. Purposely add and remove caps and spell words in different ways at the end of your add if appropriate: Fiat, fiat, Spider, spider, Spyder, spyder, abarth, Abarth, Minilite, minilite, etc., etc...If you want to see proof of this, simply search "miata" vs. "Miata" on Craigslist and compare your search results.

I would not be pulling off roll bars and the like. To me, as a Fiat guy, those are selling points to the car. Maybe you can talk about how the roll bar doesn't just look cool but actually stiffens up the chasis.

My .02 cents
Chris F
'69 124 AC Coupe
'73 124 Special TC
lanciahf
Last Name:

Post by lanciahf » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:51 am

Hi Carl,

I think Spider buyers these days want a largely stock spider even though a stock spider is lacking in a lot of areas. That is why I left my 84 stock just in case after its long rebuild I do not not like it and want to move on, it will be easier to sell.
Ralph DeLauretis
1977 Scorpion, #1409
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:55 am

those are good points....you sort of have to promote yourself as a knowledgeable builder (doesn't that sound pompous?)...like the folks above said. Photos are wonderful...especially if you can get it on a lift. A run-down of what the cost of the new/fresh parts is might be helpful...probably very helpful.

It has been a while since I've sold anything for more than 25 bucks from CL, but I have had good luck being patient, sifting through the BS, providing info, etc....except with my '71 124 Spider, but I think ultimately the fate was for that car to stay with me, so I was simply trying to fight some law of the universe on that one.

I once sold a VW beetle that was a flip car to a guy who's first email was simply a number, presumably an offer, and definitely too low. I deleted the email with no reply. He sent another email with a higher number, I replied one word, "warmer" & it proceeded as such with one or two word emails. Ultimately, we agreed on a fair price and he showed up exactly as planned with no BS. In fact, it turned out he was a super nice dude & happened to be the brother of someone I know professionally....completely NOT the scammer sounding person I had imagined on the other end of the email when he sent the first email saying something like "800"

Good luck.

and FWIW, I have had the annoying (from all perspective) experience of de-tuning/de-"building" a car in order to sell it, or sometimes in the sale negotiation. I don 't know what I would do in your case, but as an offer of a price w/o the bar or something like that, it may get some traction. I think when you listed the white one for sale you had a series of options from 'as-is' to various collections of parts.

and as just mentioned, you've always got to weigh out 'easy to sell' vs. 'nice to live with'. at the moment the trend is that survivor "barn find" thing even though it's kind of ho-hum once you get over the fact that the top folds down.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
cjwaters
mille club
Last Name:

Post by cjwaters » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:21 pm

Spring has barely arrived so maybe people aren't looking for convertibles yet? You know me, I like tin tops so that puts me out of the market ;) Never mind the lack of parking space!
Bumper delete and carb conversion (I'm guessing it was originally FI) could be problematic in some states. I'd provide more detail, not less, on the engine rebuild. It drives me nuts when people claim to have rebuilt the engine when they really mean they just threw a gasket kit at it (not saying you did!).
The car looks very presentable and the "racer" mods aren't over the top. I'm sure you'll find a good home for it in time.
Courtney Waters
'86 X1/9
'78, '76, and '73 128 Sedans
'74 128 Coupe
'74 124 Sedan
'68 124 Wagon