Looking for a mechanic / shop in Denver (or Fort Collins)

The all purpose conversational forum
tmckaskle
Last Name: McKaskle
First Name: Troy

Looking for a mechanic / shop in Denver (or Fort Collins)

Post by tmckaskle » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:21 am

Hey gang, it's been a few years since I've been here, but it's great to see some familiar names around. I moved from the Bay Area to Fort Collins, CO a couple years back and haven't done much driving because I've been traveling and working on the house.

I try to drive the FIAT pretty regularly, but it's not getting the running time that it deserves. I replaced the water pump last spring and have done the other required regular maintenance (oil, timing belt, etc). The other day while driving I noticed that when I step on the brakes at a light that the idle drops slightly, which I'm guessing is a vacuum leak in the booster. I also noticed that when the transmission warms up, that it's hard to get into second. Not mechanically hard, but more like it's hard to "find" it. I changed the fluid in the transmission right before I left California because the moving company wouldn't ship any of the oils. I used a FIAT-approved fluid and that's all I'm going to say :) . I think that I may try to change the fluid to something else and see if that helps, because I've never had problems with it.

Lastly, I think that some of the cam lobes are more worn than I'd like (they've been that way since I bought the car) and I'd like to swap those out. Anyway I have a few things that I'd like to do to the car, but don't have a lot of time to do them myself. I'd like to spend a bit of time with it to get it sorted - nothing major, I just want to stay on top of keeping it in good shape.

I thought of Apple Motors in Denver, but it looks like they have closed. I was wondering if there are other recommendations from you guys.

1972 124 Spider 124BS10056433
tmckaskle

Update - Re: Looking for a mechanic / shop in Denver (or Fort Collins)

Post by tmckaskle » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:29 am

I think Apple is still around. I called them this morning and think I'm set. I think they moved.
San Jose Steve
Last Name:

Re: Looking for a mechanic / shop in Denver (or Fort Collins)

Post by San Jose Steve » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:53 am

Welcome back Troy..... I remember your car from one of the old BARF drives in 02. Mine was the mirror image of yours except I think you had the cool twin carb set up. Glad to hear you hung onto that car..... It was really sharp.

-Steve Ferrari (Still driving Bay Area back roads...)
bartigue
seimila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Post by bartigue » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Welcome back Troy. The offer still stands to ship your car here and I'll tune it up - but of course I may never return it. Beautiful Spider you have there.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
fiatrn
Last Name: FiatRN
First Name: the

Post by fiatrn » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Dave Dutton retired from Apple. The business is still there, under a different name, and Doug, one of the guys from Apple, still worked there last time I was by. Doug's a good wrench and has a couple gorgeous Lancias.
tmckaskle

Post by tmckaskle » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:07 am

fiatrn wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:13 pm
Dave Dutton retired from Apple. The business is still there, under a different name, and Doug, one of the guys from Apple, still worked there last time I was by. Doug's a good wrench and has a couple gorgeous Lancias.

Perfect, I talked to Doug on the phone this morning. Thanks!!
tmckaskle

Post by tmckaskle » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:16 am

Thanks buddy. There are some fantastic roads here in Colorado and I’m itching to get the Spider back to where I can hop in it and drive anywhere without being nervous. I still use it to carry my paddle board and for day trips in the mountains, but I worry about the lack of regular driving. I have a bunch of other cars that I rotate through but I can’t get serious about thinning out the FIAT.
bartigue wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:06 pm
Welcome back Troy. The offer still stands to ship your car here and I'll tune it up - but of course I may never return it. Beautiful Spider you have there.
NewfD90
Last Name: G
First Name: Chance

Post by NewfD90 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Along these lines, anybody know of a good FIAT mechanic in the Springs area? Need to get the timing belt done. The timing belt looks easy enough to change, but they make me nervous...

When we had our Alfa GTV, we'd take it to Concours, but looking at their webpage, they don't list FIAT.

Thanks!
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

Post by ST3Racer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Troy,
As a former speed shop owner, with more than 40 years ownership of multiple FIATs for both the road, and the track, I would be happy to work on your car. I would need to see it first, and you can contact me at: mcmahanmac@yahoo.com. I am in Parker. I understand that with the closure of Aspen Import, and the decline of Apple Motors, there is a void in the Greater Denver Area for quality work on classic 124 Spiders.

Contact me.

Sincerely,
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L ex EP racer, ex Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar - retired
'69 rebodied with '79 backdated chassis as '72 DP 1.8L Vintage Racer
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica
ST3Racer
Last Name: McMahan
First Name: Bill

Post by ST3Racer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:53 pm

If there are any other Front Range 124 Spider owners looking for service or modification, please contact me as per the previous posting. I will work on select 124 Spiders.

Since selling my speed shop and taking semi-retirement, I have been thinking about taking on customers again. Check my postings here to see what I do. I am a Weber racing carbie builder, and tuner, as well. I know the IDF/IDA, DCOE, and DCNF Webers.
Bill McMahan
Parker, Colorado
'69 124 Spider 2L ex EP racer, ex Volumex NASA ST3 Racecar - retired
'69 rebodied with '79 backdated chassis as '72 DP 1.8L Vintage Racer
'74 124 Abarth Stradale Replica