ebay selling

The all purpose conversational forum
bartigue
seimila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Re: ebay selling

Post by bartigue » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:58 am

ebay lost me when the seller (me) became the enemy. high fees, the assumption that sellers were just trying to rip off buyers, one-sided feedback, etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:30 pm

I put up with it fairly well, expect only hassle (so I’m usually pleasantly surprised) & don’t bother selling any Fiat stuff.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986
vandor
quattromila club
Last Name:

Post by vandor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:48 pm

On the rare occasions when I sell on eBay I always list as 'Ships to US only'
Csaba
Parts: http://www.autoricambi.us
Cars: http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/Fiat.html
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'72 124 Coupe, new project, ex-Pete, ex-Eli, ex-Jack car (all Mira members)
'73 124 Wagon, no floors
PhillySpider
Last Name: Gomolinski
First Name: Mike

Post by PhillySpider » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 pm

Two words - Facebook Marketplace . I've been loving it the last year or so. Snap a pic, put in a price and description and sell to locals. Better than CL as you can check their profile, even if locked down to see the seem "normal" and agree to meet.

I bought a new stator for my kids quad on ebay. Tested it with a multimeter before ripping the quad apart and found it had no continuity so I knew it was a dud. Seller refused to ship another or take the return and paypal rejected the dispute after the seller provided nothing more than the delivery confirmation from UPS. I'm pretty much done with ebay at this point.
"Life is what happens while you're busy making plans"
Garage:
1980 FI Spider 2000 MT
2014 Audi A4 MT
2014 Mercedes C300 AT
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:51 pm

To be fair here, I have to add this. About 6 months ago, I sold a set of Campagnolo bicycle wheels on Ebay. The buyer received them quickly but immediately initiated a return/claim saying that the wheels had been damaged & were cracked and that I had drilled a hole at the end of the crack to stop it AND moved decals to cover it. I tried as politely as possible to give him the technical & legal details that these were used wheels sold "as is" and that he is a bit of an idiot who should not be buying used bicycle parts (remember, most is very light, ragged edge stuff....you need to have some sense) because the hole & "crack" he had observed were components of the way in which the wheels were manufactured. Oh, and I have better things to do with my time than try to rip people off moving decals on bicycle wheels that I'm selling for a hundred bucks or so (which, btw, is stupid cheap for any decent bicycle wheels). After much round & round and emails with Ebay, I had Ebay reverse the Paypal payment. I called Ebay & within a few minutes I had a real live person on the phone who was able to look up the listing details along with the messages between me & the buyer (which included the one where he agreed I was correct that the wheels were not damaged & there was no misrepresentation). While I was on the phone with them, my phone vibrated which was Paypal & Ebay letting me know I had received a payment where they had re-reversed the charges. Okay, that's a long & probably confusing story, but it WAS a case where Ebay actually did the right thing.

I have a long list of rude people, possible scammers & apparent morons who are blocked from bidding on anything I list.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
atruscott
Last Name: Truscott
First Name: Andy

Post by atruscott » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:47 am

eBay annoys me as my default setting is to trust people.

I picked up a dizzy setup recently... “just pulled it out of my spider when I switched to a dual coil” said the guy. “Faultless since I installed it...” etc.

The dizzy in question is a block mounted electronic set up. Not too common and from the 131 (I think, maybe?).

Dizzy turns up. I take it apart to take a look. Inside is a morass of oily goop, and the pickup is in three parts, none of which are attached to the wires.

It’s not a big deal to install a new pickup. And while thebentire thing is apart, popping it in the shot blaster means it comes up real nice.

It’s more then fact that I’d have bought it if I’d known the honest condition. Why lie?
1960 Autobianchi Bianchina Transformabile
1970 238 Camper OHV
1974 124 Wagon TC
1974 124 Special TC
1975 124 Sport Coupe
1976 124 Sport Spider (The Racer)
1981 Spider 2000 (The Resurrected)
1985 Pininfarina Azzurra
2017 124 Spider Abarth Elaborazione
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:51 pm

Yes, what is wrong with people. I am happy to buy derelict stuff at times for likely the same reason as Andy, but why not just be honest?

This reminds me of a few years ago when I was selling g a lot of random electronic/vintage computer/mechanical stuff on EBay with a friend who was doing work that sometimes involved hauling off multiple loads of hoarder mess for lots of the above type stuff. He lifted/loaded/cleared & periodically showed up with a trailer load of fun stuff like a dozen unidentified GM differentials, old radio equipment,1970s computer equipment, sound studio gear ,bumpers, random gauges & 1950s/60s small car parts & god knows what else. I enjoyed the challenge of figuring out simply WHAT the stuff was and testing/inspecting as best as reasonably possible. With the latter, “reasonable” means quite quickly diminished returns (sorry, not going to fabricate an infinite number of elaborate test rigs ), so there were cases where somewhat tongue-in-cheek language such as, “there is no reason to think this item is not functional as designed” was used. The descriptions basically said the stuff came from a large hoarder lot (seemed like storage unit stuff, but he was taking down buildings & barns for vintage barn wood). We never really had any issues with the items/descriptions/etc. there is the usual EBay error rate that had to do with the buyer either not reading, changing his mind or whatever & my approach was to offer a refund and NOT ask the item be sent back. Also has UPS crush a cool old computer “mainframe” and that was a bummer but insurance made it right.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN