Rear Caliper E-brake cable pivot post

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
kgfiske
Last Name: Fiske
First Name: Kelly

Rear Caliper E-brake cable pivot post

Post by kgfiske » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:24 pm

On nearly every rear Spider brake caliper I have run across, the pivot or swivel post that the E-brake cable connects to is frozen solid in the caliper body. Fortunately, they are always frozen in the correct position for the E-brake cable to connect to the caliper, and I've never been real concerned about them. I just installed a new set of rear calipers on my 82 Spider and noticed how nice the posts do spin in the aluminum caliper body. That said, does anyone have a good method to free up the posts? Heat? One hell of a penetrating oil soak?
Thanks!
Kelly Fiske
Akron, OH
78 Spider
82 Spider Turbo
tima01887
Last Name: Aucella
First Name: Timothy

Re: Rear Caliper E-brake cable pivot post

Post by tima01887 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:40 pm

The post that moves the wedge that moves the screw in the piston is bushed in the aluminum housing. Maybe a good soak with PB Blaster would free them up. How do your new calipers behave when you move that lever back in forth? Does it move the piston in continuosly?
kgfiske
Last Name: Fiske
First Name: Kelly

Post by kgfiske » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am

That's not the swivel post I'm talking about. I am referring to the steel post that the emergency brake cable attaches to, not the lever. It's retained with a roll pin driven into the aluminum caliper body.
Attachments
pic 2.jpg
pic 2.jpg (233.19 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Kelly Fiske
Akron, OH
78 Spider
82 Spider Turbo
18Fiatsandcounting
Last Name: Balazs
First Name: Bryan

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:13 am

I've had several of these stuck swivel posts, and I've always been able to free them up with penetrating oil (I use Kroil) and time. Let it sit overnight, stick a large Phillips screwdriver halfway through the hole, and use this to work the post back and forth until it frees up. After that, I lubricate and wait for it to freeze up again in a couple decades.

Heat from a propane torch would likely help as well, but don't get too carried away.

-Bryan
tima01887
Last Name: Aucella
First Name: Timothy

Post by tima01887 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:51 pm

Brake fluid is very volatile