How frozen is your spider steering?

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

How frozen is your spider steering?

Post by friedman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:12 pm

Took a break from working on the x and tackled the very stiff steering (as in won't turn) on the 75 spider. Assumed the idler was frozen but after undoing the steering link to the steering box and finding both wheels would still not turn found the idler and steering box were frozen. Good replacements were found and upon removing both the idler and steering box (a whole lot easier while the engine is out) discovered the ball joints for both wheels were also frozen....I could not turn either hub by just grabbing the brake rotor. I hit the trifecta in that ALL steering components were frozen....never had that before.

If you think your spider has stiffer than normal steering, it's time to jack up the front end and start doing some simple investigative work.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
SimcaBertone66
Last Name: DeGasperis
First Name: Joseph

Re: How frozen is your spider steering?

Post by SimcaBertone66 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:34 pm

Think it's simply "atrophy" …. like lack of use caused progressive deterioration of function...……? .have fun … these things are good for old people … keeps the brains cells in a WTF … mode.... requiring problem solving skills and higher executive brain function to actually fix the dang thing ..
Joe DeGasperis
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Re: How frozen is your spider steering?

Post by friedman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:39 am

Actually, that is part of my excuse I give to others, problem solving, brain function and then muscle use by crawling all over the car to fix and repair stuff. One can even take a nap while pretending to work under the car.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone