73 1608 Engine with limited power

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Re: 73 1608 Engine with limited power

Post by friedman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:22 am

Carry your cell phone with you so when the head gasket finally lets go you can call for help!
Enjoy the driving season and do a serious check with compression and leak down in the fall.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
rridge
tremila club
Last Name: ridge
First Name: richard

Post by rridge » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:04 am

In 1968 I bought a five year old Corvair Spyder with low miles from its first owner, a nurse in Philadelphia. The price was right and it had been carefully serviced by her long time boyfriend. How could I go wrong. About a week later I heard a sharp noise on acceleration. Opened the hood and found one of the spark plugs dangling at the end of its wire. And that's how I learned about aluminum heads, cross threaded spark plugs and heli-coils.

Getting the spark plugs started properly and torqued sufficiently without getting them cross threaded or too loose on a 40 year old aluminum head is not a trivial task. Years ago I would carefully remove the old spark plug ring and fit a new one before re-installing. With new copper core Champion 415 plugs selling for less than $2/plug, new ones go in every time old ones come out.
Richard
'81 Turbo Spider
Rockville, MD
friedman
mille club
Last Name:

Post by friedman » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:22 pm

It's usually number four that gets messed up since it's hard to get to.
Carl in Virginia
75 spider
83 Bertone
cgranju
duemila club
Last Name:

Post by cgranju » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:09 pm

When I sold my old '74 124 Sedan, the new owner began cursing me driving it home when a plug blew out of the engine. I have owned TCs with badly mangled plug threads, thankfully mostly parts cars. That Sedan case was really a bummer because it had been such a good car in most old Italian car ways that I'd actually never removed the plugs (and it's not like I'd driven it tens of thousands of miles...it was one of probably 10 carsI owned at the time), but I'm sure it was another case of the same.
Chris Granju
sunny East TN
owner of a number of Fiats built prior to 1986