Rear Compensator, open or closed?

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
San Jose Steve
Last Name:

Rear Compensator, open or closed?

Post by San Jose Steve » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:32 pm

I have installed a new rear compensator on the 124. Couldn’t get any fluid from the rear calipers. Car sitting on all 4 tires.... this morning I disconnected the actuating rod, but still get no fluid out. Is the valve normally closed? Does it have to be under tension from the actuating rod to open and pass fluid? I thought disconnecting the rod would do it for me. Nothing in my 3 different manuals really explains exact;y how the darn thing works. Can someone please give me a clue? Oh btw, all the rubber hoses are less than 5 years old....

Thanks, -Steve
AZRuss124
Last Name: Wakefield
First Name: Russ

Re: Rear Compensator, open or closed?

Post by AZRuss124 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:24 pm

This is my understanding of how it works. When the rear tires are on the ground, the valve is open allowing full fluid to the rear calipers. When the rear axle is allowed to drop (like when you jack up the car from the diffy and the rear springs extend) the valve closes and the flow stops. If you disconnect the actuator rod, then it falls and the valve closes. So push the rod up and that should open the valve. you should also be able to feel when you have reached the end of the valve stroke with the lever arm.