Front end renovation

The forum for all of your technical questions on your classic FIAT autos
magnus
Last Name: Gjerstad
First Name: Magnus

Front end renovation

Post by magnus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am

I´m presently renovating the front end of a 124 SC CC1. Some spare parts are hard to come by or really expensive. Items 4243229 and 4243230 ("protection", from dust and water, maybe) for example. Do you really need them or can you make do without them, without any problem?

And tiny lockplate #4055524? Can you use something else like a locknut? I realise that these items are on the car for a reason, but maybe there is an equally good alternative solution?

Finally, a question about the steering idler (hydralic). I`ve topped it up with oil. When I have the idler in a vice and crank the arm back and forth it takes quite some effort to make it move. Somewhere between the stops there is also a slightly grinding noise. Should this idler go into the bin?

Greetings
Magnus
bartigue
seimila club
Last Name: Artigue
First Name: Bradley

Re: Front end renovation

Post by bartigue » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:40 pm

I like the hydraulic idlers but many people hate them, and they can leak and fail if not maintained. If it's grinding then, yes, ditch it.

As to the rest of it, I wouldn't skimp on front end parts. Look at it this way - done right the assembly will last about 10 years. Done wrong it will last about 1 year.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Brad Artigue
1969, 1969, 1970, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1982 124 Spiders
1969, 1970 850 Spiders
77 X1/9
http://fiat.artigue.com
18Fiatsandcounting
Last Name: Balazs
First Name: Bryan

Re: Front end renovation

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Before you toss the idler, it might be worth taking it apart to see what's grinding. I just cleaned up and re-oiled the one in my '71 spider, and yes, there is resistance when working the pitman arm from one side to the other, but not excessively so. The quicker you try to move the arm, the more resistance, but you can also just slowly push it over its range with a gentle fingertip over the course of 5 seconds or so, which I'm guessing is the way it should be.

By the way, I noticed a "flat spot" in the resistance in my idler, roughly in the middle of the rotation, when the oil level was not full. Once full, it has smooth and equal resistance throughout its range.

Check it out, and if the source of the grinding looks terminal, chuck it.

-Bryan